The Purpose for which we study the prophetic biography and its juristic implications is not to merely to become acquainted with historical events or to narrate interesting stories.
The various aspects of this goal may be summarized as follows:
1) To provide an understanding of the prophetic personality of the Apostle (pbuh) through his life and the circumstances in which he lived
2) To enable readers to discover that they have before them the exemplary model for how to comport themselves virtuously in all aspects of life.
3) To enable all students of biography of the Prophet (pbuh) to better understand the Qur’an and to gain a better sense of its sprits and its purposes
4) To allow all Muslims to acquire a sound, accurate foundation in Islamic knowledge and culture, whether it be related to Islamic doctrine, regulations, or morals
5) To provide Muslims teachers and propagators of the Islamic faith with an living exemplar of the ideal educational methods.
An examination of the life of the Prophet (pbuh) is capable of achieving all of these purposes because it encompasses all aspects of human and social existence insofar as each of us is both an individual with his own independent existence, and an effective member of society
Fiqh as-Seerah an-nabawiyyah
Shaykh Muhammad Sa’id Ramadan Al-Bouti
Pages 53-54 translated by Nancy Roberts